Emergency Information

Anytime you are in immediate danger, you should dial 911 to receive emergency services, including the police and fire departments, or emergency medical assistance.

If you find yourself in any of the following situations, please also reach out to your LFC lawyer or social worker.

Are you being abused in foster care in New York City?

You can call the ACS Office of Advocacy at 212-676-9421

You should contact your lawyer at:

  • Lawyers For Children: 212-966-6420 or 1-800-244-2540 (a free call in New York State)
  • Legal Aid Society-Juvenile Rights Division: 212-420-6200 or

You can reach Legal Aid’s borough offices at the following numbers:
Manhattan (212) 349-3200
Bronx (718) 579-7900
Brooklyn (718) 237-3100
Queens (718) 298-8900
Staten Island (718) 981-0219

Telephone Hotlines

Any child, young person, or adult can report abuse in New York State to the Child Abuse Hotline, which may result in an emergency removal of the young person from their home and an investigation by Child Protective Services:


Any child, young person, or adult in or outside of New York State can report abuse to Child Help USA:


Reporting Abuse to in Adult in New York State

If you decide to speak to a relative or another responsible adult that you trust and ask them for help, the following is a list of adults who are called "mandated reporters." This means that if you tell them that you are being hurt or abused, they must, by law, tell the Administration for Children's Services.

  • Teachers
  • Guidance counselors
  • Social workers
  • Therapists
  • Drug and alcohol counselors
  • Doctors
  • Nurses
  • Dentists
  • Psychiatrists or psychologists
  • District attorneys
  • Police officers

Reporting Abuse to the Police

You can also go to your local police precinct and ask to speak to the Youth Officer, the Special Victims detective, or any police officer on duty.

Are You Being Abused in School?

In addition to the general child abuse phone numbers, if you are being abused in school in New York City, you can call the Special Commissioner of Investigation for the NYC Board of Education at 212-510-1400

Are You Homeless and Need an Emergency Shelter?

Anyone under age 18 can contact or go to the ACS Children’s Center:

ACS Children's Center

492 1st Avenue

New York, NY 10016


If you are between the ages of 18 and 21 and you were never in foster care, you can contact or go to Covenant House for assistance.

Covenant House NY

427 W 52nd St, New York, NY 10019

(212) 247-5670

If you are 21 or older, you must go through the NYC Department of Homeless Services.

NYC Department of Homeless Services

(212) 361-8000

If you have been arrested and need help in a criminal matter?

  • If you are a client of Lawyers For Children, call: 212-966-6420 or 1-800-244-2540 (a free call in New York State)
  • Contact the Legal Aid Society at 212-577-3300.