Lawyers For Children (LFC) is a non-profit organization providing legal advocacy and social work services on behalf of youth in foster care. LFC seeks to hire a full-time Foster Care Youth Advocate to join the staff of the Adolescents Confronting Transition (ACT) Project.
The ACT Project works with adolescents who are preparing for life after foster care.
The Youth Advocate will engage in outreach to youth in foster care and to professionals in the child welfare community. With the assistance and supervision of the Youth Advocate Coordinator and the ACT Project staff, the Youth Advocate’s responsibilities will include:
- Working as a team with LFC attorneys and social workers, to encourage and support young people’s participation in their Family Court proceedings.
- Working with LFC’s clients to ensure that they have access to an advocate who shares their experience and background and who can provide support and encouragement throughout the court process.
- Helping to recruit, develop and lead Lawyers For Children’s Youth Advisory Board. The Youth Advisory Board is comprised of young people currently in foster care, who advise LFC about how to best represent its clients and provides information to LFC clients on jobs, educational opportunities, and how the foster care system can better respond to their needs.
- Helping to create and present workshops and other efforts to promote awareness of the rights of adolescents in and aging out of foster care and the services available to them.
- Providing emotional support to LFC clients as well as assisting with specific concrete tasks.
- Understanding of boundaries when working with young adult clients.
- Receiving supervision on both routine and challenging issues that arise.
- Attending community and office based meetings/conferences with clients and with community advocates
- At least 21 years of age;
- First hand experience living in foster care;
- No longer in foster care;
- Desire to help youth currently in foster care;
- Ability to accept direction and work as part of a team;
- Ability to be punctual and well organized.
Salary & Benefits:
- The salary begins at $40,000/year or higher, depending on experience, plus full benefits (health, dental, vacation, sick leave, life insurance, pension plan).