Other Ways To Report Abuse

Sexual Abuse
2. Who to Tell About the Abuse

Other Ways To Report Abuse

You can always directly report abuse to the Child Abuse Hotline. The adults at the hotline will report the abuse to the Administration for Childrens Services (ACS). This hotline is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

You can go to your local police precinct and ask to speak to the Youth Officer or Special Victims Detective. You can go to a neighborhood center that has programs for young people, such as The Door or your local community center. If you are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or questioning you can also talk to someone at the Youth Enrichment Services (YES) Project of the NYC LGBT Community Center. If you want to talk to someone after having been paid for sexual activity, call GEMS.

If you are being abused in school, you can tell a teacher, social worker, or counselor, or call the Special Commissioner of Investigation of the NYC Department of Education.

If you are in foster care and are being abused by a staff person or foster parent, you can call the Childrens Rights Unit of ACS. You can also call your lawyer or social worker at Lawyers For Children or The Legal Aid Society Juvenile Rights Practice.

Dont forget that you can always call the Child Abuse Hotline or 911.

Child Abuse Hotline 1-800-342-3270
The Door 212-941-9090
YES Project 212-620-7310
GEMS 212-926-8089
NYC Department of Education 212-510-1500
Childrens Rights Unit of ACS 212-676-9421 or 212-676-9035
Lawyers For Children 212-966-6420 or 1-800-244-2540
The Legal Aid Society Juvenile Rights Practice 212-312-2260
Police 911