Problems in a Psychiatric Hospital

Your Rights in Foster Care
15. Psychiatric Hospitals

Problems in a Psychiatric Hospital

If you are in a psychiatric hospital and you don’t think you should be, call your lawyer. There is an office of attorneys called Mental Hygiene Legal Services. Their job is to help you get out of a psychiatric hospital or to help you get proper treatment while you are in the hospital.

If you have any of these problems, call MHLS:

  • You want to get out of the hospital.
  • You want to stay in the hospital.
  • You are being hurt by staff in the hospital.
  • You are not being allowed to practice your religion in the hospital.
  • You do not like the medication you are given at the hospital.

You can reach MHLS at their main number: (212)889-6486. Tell the person at MHLS the name of the hospital where you are living. They will give you the phone number for the attorney who represents children at that hospital.

If you can’t get the help you need from MHLS, call Lawyers For Children or the Legal Aid Society. If you can’t reach your lawyer on the phone, send a letter to your lawyer.