Mental Health
3. Services


Everyone needs to be able to talk to someone they can trust. As a young person in foster care, you may experience challenges that can be very scary if you feel you have to face them alone. A therapist’s job is to listen to you and help you figure out how to deal with problems at home, in school, or in your foster care placement. You can talk to a therapist about anything that is bothering you, and what you share with that person should be private and confidential.

Speaking with a therapist can help you feel better; improve your relationships with important people in your life; succeed in school; and stay in a stable foster care placement, return home, or even live independently.

Therapy and counseling can come in many forms and can happen in many different places. You may receive therapy at a youth center, at an outpatient clinic, at a hospital, at your foster care agency, or at your school. You can receive therapy on your own (individual therapy) or with other young people (group therapy). You can also receive therapy with your parents, caregivers, or other family members (family therapy). Family therapy can help you and your family members communicate and work through problems.

Talk to your caseworker about finding a therapist or counselor in a setting that is right for you. If you are already seeing a therapist, but you do not feel comfortable, speak to your caseworker right away or contact your lawyer. They should be able to find someone else for you to see.